Bartow, Fla. (May 16, 2022) — If an unfortunate accident happens at the Saddle Creek Gun Range, Polk County’s Parks and Recreation staff will be ready thanks to the donation of a trauma kit from In-Gauge of Polk County.
In a small ceremony Monday, Polk County Commissioners Bill Braswell and Rick Wilson accepted the donation from the local group. The kit includes bandages and supplies to treat gunshot wounds until more advanced medical help arrives.
“I’d like to think in the back of my mind it’s never going to be used but it’s a great thing to have if you do need it,” Braswell said during the ceremony.
The donation from In-Gauge is in recognition of National Stop-the-Bleed Month. National Stop-the-Bleed Month aims to educate the public on the basic skills needed to control bleeding from accidents to save lives.
Robert Dummett, instructor with In-Gauge, says, “An individual can bleed to death in less than three minutes.” Dummett says anybody can use the techniques and supplies in this trauma kit to help stop bleeding and possibly save someone’s life.
Saddle Creek Gun Range is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. For more information about Polk County Parks & Recreation’s gun range, call Daniel Gornoski at (863) 499-2613, or visit www.polk-county.net.
Just four months into 2022, Transportation Security Administration officers in Florida have already stopped nearly 200 guns from being taken onto flights.
Apr 13, 2022 – TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA)
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Just four months into 2022, Transportation Security Administration officers in Florida have already stopped nearly 200 guns from being taken onto flights. From Tampa to Jacksonville, passengers keep trying to bring guns with them on planes.
One can legally transport a firearm and ammunition on a commercial airliner, but it must be done in accordance to the law. To learn how, take a bonified concealed carry class conducted by In-Gauge of Polk County, because no other class is going to tell you.
Multiple laws since 1961 have adjusted or changed the restrictions for carrying a firearm or other weapon on a flight. Current law prevents guns from being carried on. Firearms are only allowed in checked baggage, according to TSA, and must be properly packed and declared during check-in.
‘No Floridian will be restricted’: DeSantis makes promises about COVID Properly packed, in this case, means unloaded and locked in a hard-sided case.
“Whether or not they had nefarious intent, accidents happen and tragedies could result,” said TSA spokesperson Sari Koshetz. “This dangerous trend continues across Florida and across the country. Know exactly where your gun is before you enter the airport and make sure that it is not in your backpack, purse, computer bag or suitcase that you plan to bring into the security checkpoint.”
So far in 2022, and only halfway into the month of April, TSA officers have already seized 195 guns from passengers at Florida airports. Some passengers carried multiple guns on them, others not only had guns, but rounds chambered. Neither option is legal.
Here’s how those some of those seizures break down in Florida’s airports, according to TSA:
Orlando International (MCO): 40 guns Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL): 36 guns Tampa International (TPA): 26 guns Miami International (MIA): 19 guns Jacksonville International (JAX): 17 guns
According to officials, “passengers face a civil penalty from the TSA that can reach as much as $13,910 and that is imposed regardless of whether the individual is arrested” by law enforcement officers or agents. Passengers with TSA PreCheck membership also lose their privileges, sometimes permanently.
A TSA release on the guns at Florida airports said that was the case with one passenger at FLL.
“On Monday a man carrying a Beretta into Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport was intercepted by the TSA and while he was not arrested, he will lose his TSA PreCheck privileges and he faces a fine that could exceed $13,000,” TSA said.
Home invasion victim sexually assaulted while on phone with 911 operator, waiting for officers to arrive.
A California women was sexually assaulted, while on the phone with the 911 operator, waiting for law enforcement officers to arrive, responding to a call of a home invasion. Police response time: 7 minutes.
Following the assault, the woman was held hostage, with a gun pointed to her head, while on-scene officers negotiated with her assailant.
The suspect, Demetrius Trussell, was charged in San Diego Superior Court with 18 felonies.
Belleview teens were shooting each other while wearing armored vest when boy killed
Apr 8, 2022 : WESH 2 – Kelsi Thorud
BELLEVIEW, Fla. — Two teenagers have been arrested after a 16-year-old was shot and killed in Belleview Sunday.
According to police, the shooting happened inside a mobile home in the Gateway Homes of Belleview mobile home park along SE 52ND Court around 7 p.m. They found the victim, 16-year-old Christopher Leroy Broad Jr. suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to the hospital where he died.
Over the past few days, investigators have determined that another teen, 17, and Broad, were taking turns shooting at each other while wearing a body armor style vest.
“I saw a teenage boy come outside all hysterical screaming,” said Joe Vanhouten.
Vanhouten is an Army veteran who lives next door. He saw the immediate aftermath of the shooting.
“I was always taught from a young age you never play with guns,” he said.
According to arrest affidavits, three teenage friends, including Broad, lived at the home with one of their fathers. On the day of the shooting, they had a couple more friends over to hang out.
The lead detective discovered that one of the teens recorded Snapchat videos of the shooting. He said one of the videos first shows Broad shooting at one of the others who was wearing a “tan plate carrier style vest.” Another video shows how they took turns and Broad was shot at next five times by a 9 mm handgun.
“It seems weird to me that they would have a body armor vest. Why would you have one?” said Vanhouten.
According to the arrest affidavit, one of the teens told police they have shot at the vest before and no bullets went through it. The report also states the alleged shooter said one of his shots struck Broad in an area not covered by the vest. The medical examiner said he died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
“A sad deal that teenage boys being I guess being teenagers, not realizing the possible consequences of what they were doing,” said Vanhouten.
Police now have the gun after serving a search warrant on the home. According to the arrest affidavit, the alleged shooter told police the gun belongs to his father who leaves it at home for protection.
“It’s just a sad story all the way around,” said Vanhouten.
Police say the 17-year-old who allegedly shot and killed Broad is now charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child with a firearm.
Another teen, also 17, is charged with providing false information to law enforcement.
Police say that teen was interviewed as a witness to the shooting and misled officers about what took place by blaming the shooting on other people like the other friends at the home and telling the 911 dispatcher that the house was shot by unknown suspects.
WESH 2 is not identifying the teens until they have been formally charged as adults.
WESH 2 tried calling the alleged shooter’s family, but they are not accepting calls. They also did not comment when we visited the neighborhood.
Authorities want everyone to know that guns should never be used this way.
“I’m sure these kids never envisioned that a death was going to occur as a result of their behavior,” Dr. David Thomas, a forensics professor at Florida Gulf Coast University, said.
Thomas said many people don’t understand armored vests.
“The biggest misnomer is that they’re bullet proof because they’re not. They’re ballistic vests and they’re rated on scales of what type of bullet they’ll stop,” Thomas said.
Thomas says even a police officer wearing the best vest wouldn’t want to get shot in it.
“That trauma is ungodly, what the body goes through,” Thomas said.
According to the police report in this case, the alleged shooter said one of his shots hit Christopher in an area not covered by the vest.
Thomas told WESH 2 News, sadly, he thinks a lot of teens don’t understand just how dangerous guns are.
“If you don’t know anything about the gun, if you don’t know anything about the equipment, just leave it alone. Stay safe and leave it alone because it’s not something to play with,” Thomas said.
By Michael R. Sisak – NBC News, New York March 2, 2022
A judge has rejected an effort by New York’s attorney general to put the National Rifle Association out of business, but will allow her lawsuit accusing top executives of illegally diverting tens of millions of dollars from the powerful gun advocacy organization to proceed.
Manhattan Judge Joel M. Cohen said allegations of NRA officials misspending on personal trips, no-show contracts and other questionable expenditures can be addressed by other remedies, such as fines and remuneration, and do not warrant the “corporate death penalty” that Attorney General Letitia James had sought.
James’ lawsuit, filed in August 2020, tells “a grim story of greed, self-dealing, and lax financial oversight” at the NRA’s highest levels, but it does not allege any financial misconduct benefited the organization or harmed the public, or that the NRA is incapable of “continuing its legitimate activities on behalf of its millions of members,” Cohen wrote in a 42-page decision.
The judge also raised concerns that shutting down the NRA could impinge the free speech and assembly rights of its millions of members. Nevertheless, he said, James’ lawsuit can continue against the NRA, its longtime leader Wayne LaPierre, and three other people who have served as executives with the organization. They had filed a motion to dismiss the case.
“While we’re heartened that the judge rejected the NRA’s attempts to thwart most of the claims in our case against the NRA, we are disappointed that the judge ruled against the dissolution portion of the case,” James said in a statement. “We are considering our legal options with respect to this ruling. We remain committed to enforcing New York law regardless of how powerful any individual or organization may be.”
The February 26th 2022 Winter Haven Gun Show was the worst!
The gun show, put on by USA Gun Shows of Florida and conducted at the Winter Haven Garden Conference Center, February 26th and 27th, was by far the worst. The venue, at least the areas used, was too small. One area used was the hotel’s bar. Yes, the bar.
A vendor actually displayed his goods on the bar, while standing behind it. A bar complete with drink glasses on the shelves. The only thing missing were the liquer bottles. At the other end of the room was the fast food counter and grill. Dining tables were available for those who wished to grab a sandwich and cold drink.
There was totally inadequate vendor space. Two people could hardly walk by one another between tables. The other room being used, which was actually appropriate for the given use, was too small and the AC was not working. Again, there was little aisle space for people to walk.
For the few vendors there were, there was lots of ammunition for sale, but very few guns, new or used.
Regarding parking: That was another issue . . . totally inadequate. Parking was a nightmare. The venue was a hotel with hotel guests and adjacent businesses and property owners were not cooperative.
Eric Popper, of Deerfield Beach, Florida, fired nearly a dozen shots in what was reported as a road dispute. The shooter told the Florida Highway Patrol that he fired because he thought the other driver had a gun.
There appears to be no shortage of such incidents . . .
Florida HB-103 sponsor Anthony Sabatini shoots himself in the foot, metaphorically speaking, ending any hope of his ‘Constitutional Carry’ bill seeing the light of day in the waning days of the 2022 Florida legislative session.
One should not insult those whom one is begging for support.
Constitutional carry. The push by gun-rights advocates for the right to openly carry firearms with no restrictions appears doomed. HB 103 remains stuck in the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, with no sign it will even get a hearing.
That’s a big defeat for gun nut — er, Second Amendment proponent — state Rep. Anthony Sabatini, who should be used to this by now. Sabatini offered the bill, but it’s going to the same place nearly all of his proposals go — the dumper.
This turn of events sparked an entertaining back-and-forth after Sabatini lashed out at House Speaker Chris Sprowls, a fellow Republican, on Twitter.
“RINO Cowards like Chris Sprowls are once again BLOCKING Constitutional Carry! When will people wake up and vote these TRASH establishment ‘Republicans’ out?!” he tweeted. “FYI — if your Representative and/or Senator is silent on Constitutional Carry, that means they are working AGAINST you!!!”
Republican state Sen. Chris Latvala then joined the fray.
“Hey moron, who is your Senate sponsor? Surely you know how to pass a bill by now,” Latvala posted.
There’s no companion bill filed in the upper chamber on this issue.
“The ineffective ‘Rep’ who has to claim victories through co-sponsorship requests wants to trash genuinely good human beings to be relevant to his followers,” posted Rep. Kaylee Tuck, a Lake Placid Republican. “I guess Session gets boring when none of your bills move. Do we have office space available on the 23rd floor?”
Sprowls earlier banished Sabatini to an office in the Capitol basement, only because he couldn’t find anything lower.